Saturday 3 January 2015

James Turrell, phenomenology and my dissertation

Photo: Florian Holzherr

My dissertation was centred around Turrell's use of light as a sculptural material and the idea of perception and I was very powerfully affected by encountering two of his installations. The following is an excerpt from my diss.
Tremenheree Skyspace: Cornwall 2014  www.tremenheree.co.uk
I enter the installation through an enclosed tunnel; coming from a recognisable garden landscape exterior, from the blue sky of a sunny summer afternoon and moving into an elliptical white interior space which yet gives access to the outside through the circular hole
 cut in the curved roof which frames the sky. I feel an immediate loss of perspective: I have no depth perception.
The portion of sky visible ceases to be part of a recognisable vast and far distant vista and instead becomes a three dimensional form that is hovering within my immediate vicinity, just over my head. The noun form is an inadequate descriptor yet our language fails to provide me with a better way to convey the identity, the presence of this object/non-object.  The surrounding white walls take on a complementary hue; looking black against the pearly grey of the sky. I have no clear sense of the division between interior and exterior; no grasp of the scale of the form or its size in relation to me, my understanding of my sense of place in the world disappears. I feel like a stranger in a strange land. The elliptical form is descending towards me as a solid shape and simultaneously rising above me drawing me up into its endless space. 
  I feel as if I am falling upwards- my normal awareness of my physical presence, my embodiment in my personal space-time no longer has meaning. I can sense my feet upon the ground, my physical presence anchoring me, yet I am aware of a sense of weightlessness as I look upwards.  I am floating into unknown and unreadable parameters of being. Space and my previous understanding of it seem to turn inside out as I attain an indescribable new dimension. I am flickering between inside and outside, I am inhabiting a space that is within yet also without.  This perception is not disorienting in an unpleasant vertiginous way, it is instead peaceful, meditative and other worldly. It is an almost an “out-of –body” experience where time and space cease to hold their accepted meaning.
Glass Works Series Royal Academy 2014
From the traditional environs and yellow artificial light of the RA hallway, I enter the first of the series of three interconnected spaces that hold the Turrell installations and my eyes are immediately flooded with sumptuous light and colour. It touches more than just my eyes, I feel as if I am bathing in light. It clings to me, I am saturated with it, immersed in it. I am inhaling it. The colour emanates from a rectangular form on the far wall which at first seems to be flat but then appears to stand proud of the wall. The light appears to form a solid plane, it has a tangible presence.  I am transfixed; the colours are so glowing, so overwhelmingly strong and rich. I am sharing the space with other viewers yet their presence is insignificant, they hover on the edge of my vision but do not distract from my experience. I am entranced by the colours which slowly transform and cycle through their particular colour spectrum, blues to greens to yellows, or reds to purples to blues. Each shade is full of an ineffable force, not flat and static but vital and awake, a living breathing material, an entity of enormous energy and power.
 Although I only have to turn my head to see back through the open door and the space of normality outside, of visitors coming and going, this only enhances the altered state I am experiencing.  The light and colour are so powerful and mesmerising that I lose myself in the beautiful motion. I am embodied in the light, drawn towards the colour as if it is a black hole exerting inexorable force, an opening into another world. Yet simultaneously it appears to be emanating out into the space. My perspective is gone; my sense of space and of the passing of time is irrelevant. I can’t apply the structures of my usual world to these environments. I can only drink in the sensation, feel it with my skin, sense it as a real entity that mingles its essence with mine. I have temporarily stepped out of the normality of my perceived and accepted reality and entered into a communion with another dimension, my perception has been turned inside out. I have no sense of being an observer, there is nothing to observe. I am instead having the experience of becoming one with my environment in a way I never do normally. I cannot usually escape my personal viewpoint that I carry around, me as a distinct entity travelling through and making sense of my surroundings from my personal perspective. This Turrell installation is as close as I can come to losing that sense of me as separate from my environs.
To summarise my experience, current theoretical physics postulates the existence of dimensions beyond the three that we inhabit (four if you include time). Turrell’s work induces this sense of profound alteration. I transcended my personal spatial and temporal perspectives and caught a glimpse of a radically different state of being. My viewpoint was fundamentally challenged through the use of light which provoked profound metaphysical[1] questions regarding the structure of our universe. Many of my previous encounters with painting and sculpture, with installation and film, have been powerful. They have intrigued, repelled, entranced and baffled. None have however come close to the Turrell experience.
   “We eat light; drink it in through our skins. With a little more exposure to light you feel part of things physically. I like the power of light and space physically because you can order
 it materially. Seeing is a very sensuous act-there’s a sweet deliciousness to feeling yourself see something.”    (Govan, 2013, p13)
When you enter the space of a Turrell light work you are becoming part of a philosophical enquiry into the nature of reality itself. The exchange between the viewer and the art work is the catalyst that transforms our perception; his work conveys you to an altered state of reality; it is immersive and overwhelming; it overrides the notions of duality: interior/exterior; subject/object; mind/body that we subconsciously adhere to and which form the fundamental definition of an art object. Turrell removes not only the object but also the subject and creates instead a transcendent experience; I am truly embodied within the universe.







No comments:

Post a Comment